How do I get into Veterinary School?
The number one question students want to know about becoming a veterinarian: How do I get into Veterinary School?
How to Prepare in High School
- Gain a solid background in math and science.
- Take part in extracurricular activities (athletics, school clubs, FFA, etc)
- Study and maintain a high GPA and high SAT/ACT scores.
- Acquire as much experience with Pets as possible. Consider volunteering at your local humane society or with a local veterinarian.
How to Prepare as a College Undergraduate
- Take the Pre-Vet curriculum including several biology, chemistry and math classes.
- Maintain a high GPA
- Gain as much broad exposure to veterinary medicine as possible. Consider job shadowing with veterinarians, scientists, working on a farm or volunteering at an animal shelter.
- Schools have different requirements for standardized test scores. For a list of requirements by school go to: www.aavmc.org
- Join a Pre-Vet club. Most colleges and University have a chapter. Go to: www.apvma.us for information